Ireland kicks off its search for the Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2021 this evening with the first episode of Junior Eurovision Éire.
Three nations Junior Eurovision selections are underway today with Georgia, Poland, and Ireland all broadcasting today. Ireland kicks off its Junior Eurovision selection, with the nation returning to the contest after a one-year break due to COVID-19.
15:15 CEST – Szansa na Sukces: Eurowizja Junior 2021 – Semi-Final Two
Poland’s search for Junior Eurovision 2021 continues this afternoon with seven more singers vying for a place in the final.
The seven singers taking part in the semi-final this afternoon will be performing music from Pan Kleks films and musicals. The seven singers are:
- Miłosz Świetlik Skierski
- Grzegorz Stachera
- Maria Chwastek
- Laura Rumpel
- Julia Kołodziejak
- Patrycja Wsół
- Lena Tylus
As ever a jury will select the singer who progresses to the Grand Final. The jury is formed of:
- Maryla Rodowicz – Singer and actress
- Ida Nowakowska – Actress, dancer, and presenter is known for hosting Junior Eurovision 2019 & 2020
- Vika Gabor – Winner of the Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2019
You can watch the show live on TVP2.
20:00 CEST – Georgia – Ranina – Show Two
The second episode this evening will feature half of the singers and will is the second of two episodes for this thematic round, four different thematic rounds will be held. Ten singers are competing in Ranina, they are:
- Nini Orkoshneli, 10 years old
- Gega Shonia, 11 years old
- Andria Beridze, 13 years old
- Barbara Makatadze, 9 years old
- Nikoloz Kajaia, 10 years old
- David Luarsabishvili, 12 years old
- Guga Nadiradze, 9 years old
- Keso Russia, 12 years old
- Ioana Navadze, 9 years old
- Mariam Boukhnikashvili, 12 years old
A jury formed of three persons will vote after each performance awarding up to 40 points. They score each act based on four categories: vocal, performance, artistry, collaboration, up to 10 points can be awarded for each category.
You can watch the show live on GPB from 20:00 CEST here.
21:00 CEST – Ireland – Junior Eurovision Éire
The Irish selection for Paris kicks off tonight with the first of six weeks of shows.
Louise Cantillon hosts the show this evening which will see young Irish singers hoping to win over a panel of judges and secure a place in the next round. The permanent members of the jury are:
- Niamh Ní Chróinín – Radio presenter, manager of Irish-language youth radio station Raidió Rí-Rá
- Fiachna Ó Braonáin – Member of Hothouse Flowers (interval act at Eurovision 1988), a permanent judge on Junior Eurovision Éire 2016-2018, composer of “Banshee” (Junior Eurovision 2019 Ireland)
The guest judges are all former Irish Eurovision entrants. They are:
- Jedward (2011 and 2012)
- Niamh Kavanagh (1993 Winner, 2010)
- Brian Kennedy (2006)
- Lesley Roy (2020 and 2021)
- Mickey Joe Harte (2003)
- Linda Martin (1984, 1992 Winner)
It is unknown if the format of Junior Eurovision Éire will be the same as the last edition in 2019. From 2015 to 2018, all contestants had to enter with original songs. In 2019, contestants performed Irish cover versions of well-known songs. The entry for Junior Eurovision was then composed after the winner was chosen.
You can watch the show live on TG4.
Image Source: Thomas Hanses / EBU