Eight artists have made it through to the final of P4 Nästa, formerly known as Svensktoppen Nästa. Regional finals have taken place across Sweden over the past few months.
Last year, the jury selected one act from this show to go to Melodifestivalen 2017. They chose Les Gordons, who ended up in fourth place at Melfest with their song “Bound to Fall”. It is expected that this will be the same for Melodifestivalen 2018.
The eight finalists are:
- Stiko Per Larsson – “Kumpaner (Vi är som)
- Miah – “That’s When We All Come Falling Down”
- Chris L Svensson – “Drive”
- Sisanda – “If This Is Love”
- Frontback – “On and On”
- Maija Homhom – “Skyskrapor”
- Michi – “Friday Night Club Escape”
- Jo’ & Eliah – “Since”
You can listen to the final eight artists, and vote for their songs here. The jury who chose these eight finalists consisted of P4 music editors Kerstin Behrendtz, Germund Stenhag, and Rita Jernqvist, as well as producer Anders Olsson, Swedish opera program manager Carolina Norén, and jury chairman Maths Broborg. The final of P4 Nästa will take place on August 26th in Linköping, Sweden.
Format of P4 Nästa
The P4 Nästa competition lasts between March and August. The aim of the shows are to find new and upcoming artists, to kickstart their careers in the world of music. 25 districts across Sweden hold heats to select their winner, who they then send to the next round. A jury then chooses the final 8, who are to perform in the final show. The winning artist gets their song played on the radio show Svensktoppen. For the past few years, some artists from the final have been picked to take part in Melodifestivalen.
- March to April – Submission period to local P4 districts
- April to August – Competitions take place in P4 districts
- Early August – Competitions finish, the jury chooses the final 8 acts
- August – Final 8 acts are presented
- End of August to September – The final is held and an artist is crowned winner
- September to December – The winning artist has their song played on the P4 channels
Source: P4 Nästa