In the Netherlands a record low of 257,000 viewers tuned into the Junior Eurovision Song Contest, losing over 80,000 viewers over last year.
The Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2016 was the least watched edition of Junior Eurovision to date in the Netherlands, with just 257,000 viewers tuning in. The Netherlands joins Bulgaria and Italy who have all reported declines in viewers over last years contest in Sofia, Bulgaria. This years contest was moved to a Sunday afternoon in an attempt to find a more suitable audience.
In 2015 a total of 339,000 viewers watched the contest in Sofia, Bulgaria where Shalisa performed “Million Lights”, she went on to finish 15th. This year in Malta the Netherlands were represented by Kisses who were specially formed to compete in the contest. They finished 8th in last nights contest scoring a total of 174 points. The Netherlands is one of two countries to have participated in every edition of the Junior Eurovision Song Contest alongside Belarus.
The show yesterday saw considerable changes take place to it this year. The age of the participants was dropped to between 9 and 14 years old. Furthermore the public televote was dropped and replaced by an enhanced jury system. Each country was represented by both an adults jury and kids jury, while an Expert Panel was introduced.
The results were as follows:
- Georgia – Mariam Mamadashvili – Mzeo – 239 points
- Armenia – Anahit & Mary – Taber – 232 points
- Italy – Fiamma Boccia – Cara Mamma – Dear Mom – 209 points
- Russia – Water of Life Project – Water of Life – 202 points
- Australia – Alexa Curtis – We Are – 202 points
- Malta – Christina Magrin – Parachute – 191 points
- Belarus – Alexander Minyonok – Musyka moikh pobed – 177 points
- The Netherlands – Kisses – Kisses and Dancin – 174 points
- Bulgaria – Lidia Ganeva – Magical Day – 161 points
- Ireland – Zena Donnelly – Bríce ar Bhríce – 122 points
- Poland – Olivia Wieczorek – Nie zapomnij – 60 points
- F.Y.R. Macedonia – Martija Stanojković – Love Will Lead Our Way (Ljubovta ne vodi) – 41 points
- Albania – Klesta Qehaja – Besoj – 38 points
- Ukraine – Sofia Rol – Planet Craves For Love – 30 points
- Israel – Shir & Tim – Folllow My Heart – 27 points
- Cyprus – George Michaelides – Dance Floor – 27 points
- Serbia – Dunja Jeličić – U la la la – 14 points