The next two semi-finalists of Junior Eurovision Éire 2021 have been chosen.
The third heat of Junior Eurovision Éire was broadcast tonight, having previously been filmed in RTÉ Studios in Dublin earlier this year. Louise Cantillon presented the show, taking over from former host Eoghan McDermott.
As in previous editions, the results of tonight’s show were decided by an in-studio jury of two permanent members and revolving guest judges. The two permanent judges are:
- Niamh Ní Chróinín – Radio presenter, manager of Irish-language youth radio station Raidió Rí-Rá
- Fiachna Ó Braonáin – Member of Hothouse Flowers (interval act at Eurovision 1988), a permanent judge on Junior Eurovision Éire 2016-2018, composer of “Banshee” (Junior Eurovision 2019 Ireland)
The guest judge for this week was Jedward, who represented Ireland in Eurovision 2011 and 2012.
Each contestant had to sing covers of popular songs in Irish. The judges could each award up to 10 stars to each artist. The artist with the highest score qualified directly to the final. The next two highest scorers moved on to a sing-off, with the winner moving on to the semi-final.
The results were as follows:
- Sadbh Breathnach – “Perfect” (25 stars) – Sing-Off
- Alison McGrath – “Castles” (27 stars) – Sing-Off
- Kayden Spooner – “Lonely World” (24 stars)
- Sophie Lennon – “Circle of Life” (30 stars) – Semi-Finalist
- Cathal Mulvey – “Take My Hand” (23 stars)
- Ciara Hassan – “Dancing With a Stranger” (23 stars)
- Maya and Lia Sheils – “The Cup Song” (22 stars)
Alison and Sadbh advanced to the sing-off. Alison was chosen by the judges to advance to the semi-final.
Sophie and Alison will join the following artists in the semi-final in two weeks time:
- Lilyella Buckley
- Eva Norton
- Shannon Copeland
- Cora Harkin
Ireland will return to Junior Eurovision this year after withdrawing in 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Their last participation in the contest was in 2019, when Anna Kearney represented the country with “Banshee”.
Junior Eurovision 2021
Paris will host the Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2021 on December 19 in La Seine Musicale. The 19 pariticipating countries are:
- Azerbaijan: Sona Azizova
- Germany: Pauline – “Imagine Us”
- Netherlands: Ayana – “Mata Sugu Aō Ne”
- North Macedonia
- Poland: Sara James – “Somebody”
- Portugal: Simão Oliveira
- Spain: Levi Díaz
Image Source: TG4