The Eurovision 2022 season officially kicks off today as song submissions open in Switzerland and Finland.
🇫🇮 Finland – UMK 2022 – Song Submissions
Following the success of Blind Channel in Rotterdam, song submissions open for UMK 2022. Uuden Musiikin Kilpailu is being held for the eleventh time having first been held in 2012.
The contest has a mixed record in terms of qualification at the contest with four finals in nine contests. Yle has high expectations for the event in 2022 to the success of Blind Channel at Eurovision along with the record-breaking viewing numbers for both UMK and Eurovision.
The rules for submissions are as follows:
- Contestants material must be unpublished
- Songs must be submitted between the 1st and 6th of September 2021
- Up to three entries can be submitted per lead singer or group however only one is eligible to make it to the live show
- Songwriters may participate across multiple entries
- The singer on the submitted demo track must also perform the song in the final of UMK
- Submitted songs cannot be entered into other Eurovision preselections
- At least one lead singer or songwriter must have Finnish citizenship or be a permanent resident of Finland.
- All performers must be older than 16 by May 1, 2022, and any song must not exceed three minutes in length.
The full rules of UMK 2022 in English can be found here, song submissions close on September 6.
🇨🇭 Switzerland – Eurovision 2022 – Song Submissions
Switzerland opens its submissions window today with fifteen days for interested songwriters to submit their entries.
Having held closed doors songwriting camps for Eurovision 2021, Switzerland is allowing songs to be submitted to represent the nation at Eurovision 2022. This is the first time since the 2020 contest that SRF has allowed interested songwriters and producers to submit entries into the broadcaster.
Switzerland will be using a 100-member audience panel and the 20-member international expert jury will evaluate the entries and artists. The two juries will have a 50% say in the final result with the winning act representing Switzerland in Italy.
Full rules for submissions in English can be found here, song submissions close on September 15.
Image Source: Thomas Hanses