Norway will select their representative for Eurovision 2022 in the final of Melodi Grand Prix on February 19.
Stig Karlsen, Head of Delegation for Norway has confirmed to escNorge that the final of Melodi Grand Prix 2022 will be held on February 19. Mr Karlsen also confirmed that the selection will once again be formed of five semi-finals and a Grand Final. The dates for the selection are:
- Semi-Final One – January 15
- Semi-Final Two – January 22
- Semi-Final Three – January 29
- Semi-Final Four – February 5
- Semi-Final Five – February 12
- Grand Final – February 19
The venue that Melodi Grand Prix 2022 will be held in has yet to be announced. It is not yet known whether an audience will be able to return to the contest.
Song submissions for Melodi Grand Prix are currently ongoing, with the deadline for submissions on September 15. Songs must meet the following rules:
- It is encouraged that registered entries have at least one Norwegian songwriter, as MGP wants to prioritize and promote Norwegian music life.
- Each producer/songwriter can sign up for a maximum of three songs.
- Everyone can sign up for songs, but artists must be 16 years old to participate in the Eurovision Song Contest.
- Songs must exceed 3 minutes in length and cannot have been commercially released before September 1st
Image Source: EBU / Andres Putting | Source: escNorge
Norway debuted in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1960 and have won the contest three times – in 1985, 1995 and 2009. The country has the dubious record of finishing last the most times, eleven in total, and have received nul points four times. Norway last won the contest in 2009 when Alexander Rybak broke all records with his song “Fairytale”. He scored 387 points in the final, receiving 16 sets of 12 points and scoring points from every country.