Five artists have qualified to the final of Festival da Canção 2021.
This evening the first semi-final of Festival da Canção 2021 took place in Portugal. Ten artists took part, with five qualifying to the final. Participating this evening was (qualifiers in bold):
- The Black Mamba – “Love Is on My Side”
- Valéria – “Na Mais Profunda Saudade”
- mema. – “Claro Como Água”
- Nadine – “Cheguei Aqui”
- Miguel Marôco – “Girassol”
- Fábia Maia – “Dia Lindo”
- Irma – “Livros”
- Karetus & Romeu Bairos – “Saudade”
- Sara Afonso – “Contramão”
- IAN – “Mundo”
The qualifiers were selected by 50% public voting and 50% jury voting. The jury members are:
- Maria Carvalho – Winner Composer of Festival da Canção 2020
- NBC – Competed in Festival da Canção 2019 finishing second
- Paulo de Carvalho – Represented Portugal at Eurovision 1974
- Rita Carmo – Photographer
- Rita Guerra – Represented Portugal at Eurovision 2003
- Vanessa Augusto – Television presenter
This weekend’s show was hosted by Jorge Gabriel and Sónia Araújo. During the show, Elisa, who was due to represent Portugal in Eurovision 2020, performed her new song “Na Ilha” as a guest during the show. The song is written by both herself and Mikkel Solnado and is dedicated to her home of Madeira.
Image source: ESC Bubble
Portugal debuted in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1964 represented by Antonio Calvario, the country finished last scoring nul points. Prior to 2016, the best result of Portugal was 6th place which came in 1996 when Lucia Moniz performed in Oslo. She scored 92 points, receiving the 12 points from both Norway and Cyprus. Since their debut, Portugal have missed a total of five contests. In 2017, Portugal produced a spectacular win when Salvador Sobral took home the crystal microphone with his song “Amar Pelos Dois.” The 2018 contest was held in Lisbon, Portugal for the first time.