Last weekend Belarus hosted their national final contest to see who would represent the country at this year’s Eurovision Song Contest. The winner was determined by a mixture of public voting (50%) and jury voting (50%).
Belarusian broadcaster BTRC has revealed the full televoting scores, showing that CHAKRAS were in a considerable lead ahead of second place in the public vote, VAL.
The full televote scores are as follows:
- CHAKRAS Group – La-ley-la – 2,190 votes
- VAL – Da Vidna – 1,494 votes
- KeySi – Chili Pepper – 1,010 votes
- AURA – Barani svajo – 812 votes
- Yan Yarosh – On Fire – 706 votes
- Angelika Pushnova – True Love – 634 votes
- Anastasia Malashkevich – Invisible – 499 votes
- NAPOLI – Don’t Let Me Down – 373 votes
- Sasha Zakharik – Rocky Road – 371 votes
- Nastya Glamozda – Burning Again – 305 votes
- Daria Khmelnitskaya – On Fire – 261 votes
- Anastasia Razvadovskaya – Hello – 258 votes
Although the jury’s favourite of the night was Yan Yarosh, and the public’s was CHAKRAS, it was VAL who came out on top after gaining a significant amount of points from the jury and the public.
Who are VAL?
VAL is a duo consisting of couple Valeriya Gribusova and Vlad Pashkevich. They experiment with genres such as house, R&B, pop and hip-hop, combined with vogue and fashion. Since the launch of their first single ‘Кто ты есть (Kto ty est’ – Who are you)’, the couple has been pushing the boundaries of their music and performances.
Valeriya is an award-winning singer, having won Slavianski Bazaar in 2015. In 2017, she took part in the seventh season of Holos Krainy (The Voice of Ukraine). Vlad Pashkevich is a music producer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist whose production studio ToneTwins produced “Historyja majho žyccia”, the Belarusian entry to Eurovision 2017.
Belarus debuted in the Eurovision Song Contest in 2004 and has made it to the final on five occasions. Belarus’ best result in the contest came in 2007 when Dmitry Koldun finished 6th in the final with a total of 145 points. In total Belarus has qualified for the Eurovision final six times in sixteen attempts.