Uku Suviste has won Eesti Laul 2020 and will represent Estonia in the Eurovision Song Contest 2020 with the song “What Love Is”.
The final of Eesti Laul 2020 took place this evening in Tallinn. After two semi-finals, the remaining twelve acts took to the stage in Saku Suurhall for the chance to represent Estonia in Rotterdam.
The winner was determined over two rounds of voting. In the first round the public and a jury voted on all of the entries. The three acts that receive the highest scores moved into the super final.
The results of the first round were as follows (qualifiers in bold):
- Inger – Only Dream – 8th
- Rasmus Rändvee – Young – 12th
- Stefan – By My Side – 7th
- Synne Valtri feat. Väliharf – Majakad – 9th
- Uudo Sepp – I’m Sorry. I Messed Up – 10th
- Uku Suviste – What Love Is
- Shira – Out In Space – 6th
- Anett x Fredi – Write About Me
- Jaagup Tuisk – Beautiful Lie
- Traffic – Üks kord veel – 5th
- Egert Milder – Georgia (On My Mind) – 4th
- Laura – Break Me – 11th
In the second round, public voting alone chose the winner. The results of the superfinal were as follows:
- Jaagup Tuisk – Beautiful Lie – 2nd
- Anett x Fredi – Write About Me – 3rd
- Uku Suviste – What Love Is – Winner
Uku Suviste will perform in the first half of the second semi-final on May 14.
Estonia in the Eurovision Song Contest
Estonia debuted in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1994 alongside six other countries. At the contest in Dublin they were represented by Silvi Vrait, who finished 2nd last scoring just 2 points. In 2001 Estonia won the Eurovision Song Contest for the only time to date. They were represented by Tanel Padar, Dave Benton & 2XL, who performed the song “Everybody” and took a surprise victory in Copenhagen. After the success of the late-90s and early 00s, Estonia failed to qualify for the final from 2004-2008. In 2009 Estonia launched a new selection show, Eesti Laul, and has since qualified for the final six out of ten attempts.