Leading Israeli songwriters and producers have submitted songs to compete in HaShir HaBa L’Eurovizion.
EuroMix reports that a number of Israel’s leading songwriters and producers have submitted songs for HaShir HaBa L’Eurovizion, the Israeli song selection process for Eurovision. Submissions for the Israeli selection process closed yesterday, with the jury meeting today and tomorrow to select four competing songs.
The producers and songwriters known to have submitted songs are:
- Idan Reichel and Doron Medalie – Doron Medalie composed the Israeli entries for Eurovision in both 2015 and 2018. His 2018 entry ‘Toy’ went on to win the contest in Lisbon.
- Stav Beger & Nathan Goshen – Stav wrote and composed ‘Toy’ with which Netta won the Eurovision Song Contest 2018.
- Dolev Ram and Penn Hazut – Wrote and produced ‘I’m Alive’ which represented Israel at Eurovision 2017
- Keren Peles – Judge on HaKokhav HaBa L’Eurovizion
- Dana Lapidot – Competed on HaKokhav HaBa L’Eurovizion
- Inbar Weizman – Co-wrote Israel’s entry for the Eurovision Song Contest 2019, ‘Home’
Eden Alene will be representing Israel at the Eurovision Song Contest 2020. The singer won HaKokhav HaBa L’Eurovizion by a margin of 96 points ahead of runner up Ella-Lee Lahav.
HaShir HaBa L’Eurovizion 2020 will take place on March 3. This will be the first time since 2016 that the Israeli public will be able to select their entry for the contest. The creation of the show comes after criticism of the current internal selection process.
Israel debuted in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1973, and were represented by Ilanit who finished in 4th place with the song “Ey Sham”. Their first victory came in 1978 with Izar Cohen and the Alphabeta. Israel won again the following year with Gali Atari & Milk and Honey. Israel’s third victory came in 1998 when Dana International performed “Diva” in Birmingham, beating Malta to victory in a tense voting sequence. Israel struggled in the contest during the early-2010s, failing to qualify for the final from 2011-2014. However since the HaKokhav HaBa selection process was introduced in 2015 Israel has seen its fortunes turned around. In 2018 Netta won the Eurovision Song Contest with the song “Toy”, the song has gone on to be the most viewed Eurovision entry of all time on YouTube.