Diodato has won the 70th edition of the Sanremo Festival, and will represent Italy at Eurovision 2020 with the song “Fai rumore”.
Tonight saw the conclusion of the 70th Sanremo Festival in Italy. After five nights of performances, Diodato has been declared the winner. Diodato will be representing Italy at the 2020 Eurovision Song Contest. The singer will need to shorten his winning entry “Fai rumore”, to ensure it does not exceed 3 minutes in length.
Following the disqualification of Bugo & Morgan on Friday evening, twenty-three acts competed in tonight’s final. The full results were as follows:
- “Fai rumore”, Diodato (1st)
- “Viceversa”, Francesco Gabbani (2nd)
- “Ringo Starr”, Pinguini Tattici Nucleari (3rd)
- “Dov’è”, Le Vibrazioni (4th)
- “Gigante”, Piero Pelù (5th)
- “Ho amato tutto”, Tosca (6th)
- “Andromeda”, Elodie (7th)
- “Me ne frego”, Achille Lauro (8th)
- “Finalmente io”, Irene Grandi (9th)
- “Eden”, Rancore (10th)
- “Carioca”, Raphael Gualazzi (11th)
- “Tikibombom”, Levante (12th)
- “Rosso di rabbia”, Anastasio (13th)
- “Il sole ad est”, Alberto Urso (14th)
- “Il confronto”, Marco Masini (15th)
- “Voglio parlarti adesso”, Paolo Jannacci (16th)
- “Niente (Resilienza 74)”, Rita Pavone (17th)
- “Nell’estasi o nel fango”, Michele Zarrillo (18th)
- “Baciami adesso”, Enrico Nigiotti (19th)
- “Come mia madre”, Giordana Angi (20th)
- “Musica (e il resto scompare)”, Elettra Lamborghini (21st)
- “No grazie”, Junior Cally (22nd)
- “Lo sappiamo entrambi”, Riki (23rd)
Tonight’s final results were calculated over the past five nights of voting, through a combination of demiscopic vote, press vote, orchestra vote and public vote.
Prior to this year’s Sanremo Festival, the Italian broadcaster RAI confirmed which of the competing artists would want to represent Italy at Eurovision in the event of their winning Sanremo. Sixteen competing artists agreed that they would go to Eurovision if offered. RAI has not disclosed who agreed and who did not agree.
Italy debuted in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1956 and has participated a total of 42 times to date. Italy returned to the Eurovision Song Contest in 2011 having last participated in the contest in 1997, the country has withdrawn from the contest on a number of occasions in the past. Italy has won the contest twice, the first time being in 1964 and the latest being in 1990. Italy’s hosting of the contest in 1991 has been remembered as one of the most chaotic contests to date. Since their return in 2011 Italy has finished in the top 10 on seven occasions.