Over 2.8 million viewers watched the first Semi-Final of Melodifestivalen 2020, making it the most viewed television show in Sweden last week.
Melodifestivalen starts off its 2020 season dominating the Swedish television ratings. The contest saw a total of 2.85 million viewers watched the first Semi-Final live, with a further 520,000 requests to view the show on SVT Play.
The results of the first Semi-Final were as follows:
- The Mamas – Move – Final
- Suzi P – Moves – 7th
- Robin Bengtsson – Take a Chance – Final
- Malou Prytz – Ballerina – Andra Chansen
- OVÖ – Inga problem – 6th
- Sonja Aldén – Sluta aldrig gå – 5th
- Felix Sandman – Boys With Emotions – Andra Chansen
The dates of the remaining Melodifestivalen shows are as follows:
- Semi-Final 2 (Gothenburg) – February 8
- Semi-Final 3 (Luleå) – February 15
- Semi-Final 4 (Malmö) – February 22
- Andra Chansen (Eskilstuna) – February 29
- Final (Stockholm) – March 7
The final of the event will take place in the Friends Arena, in Stockholm on March 7th, preceded by the Second Chance round (Andra Chansen) in Eskilstuna on February 29th. The winner of the contest will go on to represent Sweden at the 2020 Eurovision Song Contest in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
Sweden debuted in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1958 and has gone on to be one of the contest’s most successful countries. The country has won the contest six times, the most recent being in 2015. Sweden’s first victory came in 1974 when ABBA won the contest in Brighton with “Waterloo”. Since missing out on the final in 2010, Sweden has gone on to finish 3rd twice and has won the contest twice, only in 2013 did the country place outside of the top 10 in the final.