Songwriter Dimitris Kontopoulos has been revealed as being a jury member for the 58th edition of Festivali i Këngës in Albania.
Dimitris Kontopoulos who has written nine songs that have competed at the Eurovision Song Contest, will be on the jury for the 58th edition of Festivali i Këngës. The Greek songwriter is behind such songs as “Shady Lady” (Ukraine 2008), “You Are The Only One” (Russia 2016) and “Scream” (Russia 2019).
Of note is that at Festivali i Këngës the winner is entirely determined by the jury vote, meaning that Dimitris have a large say in the Albanian representative in Rotterdam.
The twenty entries in the 58th edition of Festivali i Këngës are:
- Albërie Hadërgjonaj – “Ku ta gjej dike ta dua” (Where to find someone to love)
- Aldo Bardhi – “Melodi” (Melody)
- Arilena Ara – “Shaj” (Shout/Curse)
- Bojken Lako – “Ma La Seen” (Left it Seen)
- Devis Xherahu – “Bisedë me serenatën” (Talking with serenade)
- Eli Fara & Stresi – “Bohem” (Bohemian)
- Elvana Gjata – “Me tana” (With everything)
- Era Rusi – “Eja merre” (Come and get it)
- Gena – “Shqiponja e lirë” (Free eagle)
- Nadia and Genc Tukiçi – “Ju flet Tirana” (Tirana calling)
- Kanita Suma – “Ankth” (Anxiety)
- Kamela Islamaj – “Më ngjyros” (Colour me)
- Kastro Zizo – “Asaj” (Her)
- Olta Boka – “Botë për dy” (World for two)
- Renis Gjoka – “Loja” (The game)
- Robert Berisha – “Ajo nuk është unë” (She is not me)
- Sara Bajraktari – “Ajër” (Air)
- Tiri Gjoci – “Me gotën osh” (With an empty glass)
- Valon Shehu – “Kutia e Pandorës” (Pandora’s Box)
- Wendi Mancaku – “Ende” (Still)
Festivali i Këngës 58 will take place on December 19, 20 and 22 in the Palace of Congresses in Tirana. There was previously speculation in the Albanian media that the competition could be delayed until January, due to the earthquake that struck the country last month.
RTSH has also confirmed the special guests that will be performing during the festival. These are Eleni Foureira (Cyprus 2018), Mahmood (Italy 2019) and Giusy Ferreri (runner up of the first edition of X Factor Italy).
Jonida Maliqi represented Albania at the Eurovision Song Contest 2019. She took the nation to the Grand Final for a second consecutive year. Performing “Ktheju tokës”, she finished 17th scoring a total of 90 points.
Source: Eurovision Fun
Albania made their debut at the Eurovision Song Contest back in 2004, the same year the televised semi final was originally introduced to the competition. Albania succeeded in their first showing with Anjeza Shahini’s “The Image of You”, sailing through the semi final in 4th place and eventually landing in a respectable 7th place at the grand final. Albania have competed in the Eurovision Song Contest every single year since their debut. Since the success in their original attempt, they have reach the grand final a further six times. They bettered their 2004 score in 2012 with Rona Nishliu’s song “Suus” who finished the contest in fifth place with 146 Points, their first time reaching the top 5 and their best placing to date.