RTVSLO, the Slovenian national braodcaster, has revealed the 18 acts that will take part in EMA FREŠ.
A jury reviewed all submissions and demos of songs and selected 18 for the selection. As the final versions of the songs have not been finished yet, followers of the selection will get an insight into the creative process behind the making the songs.
The first stage of selection will be presented by five presenters; Joker Out singer Bojan Cvjetićanin , presenter Klemen Kopina, Eurovision journalist expert Denis Živcec , and online influencers Maja Pinterič and Rebeka Tomc.
The 18 acts taking part in EMA FREŠ are:
- Marmoris – Moj pristan (My haven)
- Astrid in Avantgarden – Sing To Me
- Klarity – Diham (I’m breathing)
- Lana Hrvatin – Dream
- Ljudmila Frelih – Vztrajaj, ker je vredno (Persevere because it’s worth it)
- Marko Škof – Hočem da je vse kot prej (I want everything as before)
- Martina – Pleši (Dance)
- Nuša Pliberšek – Življenje je čarovnija (Life is magic)
- Parvani Violet – Cupid
- Petra Ceglar – Srce naglas (Heart out loud)
- Pia Nina – Tukaj in zdaj (Here and now)
- Sara Petešič – Sanjaj / Dream
- Saška – Še kar lovim tvoj nasmeh (I’m still chasing your smile)
- Soulution – Eno (One)
- Stella – Ne vem, če sem v redu (I don’t know if I’m okay)
- Alfirev – Črno bela lika (Black and white figure)
- Tilen Lotrič – Jaz in ti (Me and you)
- Younite – The Cure
From November 4 onwards, two acts will be presented every week from Monday to Wednesday. The public will pick a winner from each daily duel who will qualify for Friday’s round, where the winner of the week will be selected. The jury will also select a second winner every week.
Six artists will qualify for the finals of EMA Freš in the first three weeks. Of the 12 acts who didn’t originally qualify for the finals, four of them will be selected through the “happy losers” online competition in the following two weeks to advance to the final.
10 artists of EMA FREŠ will compete for a place in EMA 2020. One act chosen by the public, and one act chosen by a professional jury will become the first two finalists of EMA 2020. They will compete against established artists, who have until November 18 to submit their songs, for the chance to represent Slovenia at the Eurovision Song Contest 2020 in Rotterdam.
Slovenia were represented by Zala Kralj and Gašper Šantl at the Eurovision Song Contest 2019. They performed “Sebi” and qualified for the Grand Final, where they went on to finish 15th with 105 points.
Slovenia in the Eurovision Song Contest
Slovenia was one of three countries to join the Eurovision Song Contest in 1993. The country qualified through a specially organised selection round called “Kvalifikacija za Millstreet” which was hosted in Slovenia, seven countries competed for three spots in Eurovision 1993. The country has participated in 22 editions of the Eurovision Song Contest. Their best result came in 1995 when Darja Švajger finished 7th scoring a total of 84 points, she is closely followed by Nuša Derenda who finished 7th in the 2001 contest with 70 points.