Matheu has won Junior Songfestival 2019 and will represent the Netherlands in the Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2019 in Gliwice with the song “Dans met jou”.
Four acts took part in Junior Songfestival 2019 this evening at Theater Hanzehof. The show was hosted by Romy Monteiro and Buddy Vedder.
The results were as follows (kids jury + adult jury + public voting):
- Moves – “Make Your Move“ – 27 points (10 + 8 + 9) – 3rd
- Mannes – “Let Me Sing“ – 26 points (9 + 9 + 8) – 4th
- 6Times – “End of Time“ – 28 points (8 + 10 + 10) – 2nd
- Matheu – “Dans met jou” – 36 points (12 + 12 + 12) – 1st
The results of tonight’s show were decided by an adult jury, a kids jury and public voting. The adult jury was formed of:
- Kaj van der Voort
- Edsilia Rombley – Represented the Netherlands at Eurovision 1998 & 2007
On the kids jury were:
- Max & Anne – Represented the Netherlands at Junior Eurovision 2018
- Anna – Runner-up of Junior Songfestival 2018
The finalists also perfomed their group song “Stars to Shine”. This was the first Junior Songfestival group song since 2015.
Matheu is the first soloist to represent the Netherlands since 2015. He is also the first male soloist to represent the Netherlands since Ralf Mackenbach in 2009.
The Netherlands in the Junior Eurovision Song Contest
The Netherlands debuted at the first edition of the Junior Eurovision Song Contest in 2003. To date the country has only won the competition once. Their only victory came in 2009 when Ralf Mackenbach performed “Click Clack” scoring a total of 121 points, this was just 5 points more than runners-up Armenia and Russia. The Netherlands narrowly lost the contest in 2011 when Rachel performed “Teenager”, she lost by 5 points. The Netherlands worst result came in 2015 when Shalisa finished in 15th place out of 17 competing countries.