Sofia Ivanko has been selected to represent Ukraine at the Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2019 in Gliwice with the song “Koli Zdaetsya “.
Sofia is 13 years old and comes from Kyiv. This year was her third attempt at representing Ukraine at Junior Eurovision. Last year, she was one of the ten finalists in the Ukrainian selection with the song “Chomu?” (Why?). Earlier this year, she took part in the fifth season of the Ukrainian version of The Voice: Kids, where she was mentored by Eurovision 2016 winner Jamala. Sofia will now work on the final version of her song, which will be presented at a later date.
The ten finalists in this year’s Ukrainian selection were:
- Oleksandr Balabanov – Power To You
- Evangelina Zamula – Malyu You (I draw you)
- Oleksandr Zazarashvili – Moia MA (My MA)
- Sofia Ivanko – Koli Zdaetsya (When it seems) – Winner
- Varvara Kosova – Divo V Rozmayiti (A miracle in diversity)
- Polina Pisartsova – My Friend
- Angelina Terennikova – Fly Away
- Mariya Tkachuk – Nytochky (Threads)
- Valeriya Hristyuk – I Will Shine
- Alisa Nota – Noviy den (New day)
The winner was chosen solely by a jury formed of both representatives of Ukrainian television, as well as music industry professionals. The jurors were:
- Oleksandr Koltsov – Singer and member of the UA:PBC board
- Alyosha – Represented Ukraine at the Eurovision Song Contest 2010 in Oslo
- Adam – Singer and composer
- Tanya Sha – Singer and composer
- Oleksandr Stasov – Composer
- Oksana Skibinskaya – Head of Delegation
- Stanislav Medvedev – Head of Entertainment at UA:PBC
At last year’s contest in Minsk, Belarus, the country was represented by Darina Krasnovetska with her song “Say Love”. She finished in 4th place, their best result since 2013.
Ukraine in the Junior Eurovision Song Contest
Ukraine debuted in the Junior Eurovision Song Contest in 2006 and has competed in the contest ever since. To date Ukraine has only won the competition once. In 2012 Anastasiya Petryk won in Amsterdam with the song “Nebo”, she scored 138 points including eight sets of 12 points. Ukraine has hosted the contest twice, the first time being in 2009 and the second being in 2013 following their victory in Amsterdam.