Kobi Marimi is set to be joined by five backing vocalists for his performance of “Home” at Eurovision 2019.
Maayan Bukris, Ofree Israeli, Yossi Mark, Liron Nathan Levo, and Lera Axelrod will be joining Kobi Marimi at the Eurovision Song Contest 2019. The five backing vocalists will be performing “Home” alongside Kobi Marimi in Tel Aviv.
The backing singers are:
- Ofree Israeli (27) – Singer and composer, he works with bands and vocal groups across Israel
- Yossi Mark (23) – Lyricist, composer and singer, he has been singing since the age of 10
- Lera Axelrod (26) – Originally from Uzbekistan, she is a music producer and singer
- Liron Nathan Levo (28) – Singing since he was 14 years old
- Maayan Bukris (26) – Was one of the backing singers for Netta at Eurovision 2018
“Home” was selected from around 200 submissions that were received by the Israeli national broadcaster. “Home” was written and composed by Ohad Shargai and Inbar Weitzman. Kobi commented:
From first hearing the song really moved me and I connected to it immediately, I thank the committee for picking a song that fits me perfectly, and in a few days everyone will be able to share my emotions.
Israel debuted in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1973, and were represented by Ilanit who finished in 4th place with the song “Ey Sham”. Their first victory came in 1978 with Izar Cohen and the Alphabeta. Israel won again the following year with Gali Atari & Milk and Honey. Israel’s third victory came in 1998 when Dana International performed “Diva” in Birmingham, beating Malta to victory in a tense voting sequence. Israel struggled in the contest during the early-2010s, failing to qualify for the final from 2011-2014. However since the HaKokhav HaBa selection process was introduced in 2015 Israel has seen its fortunes turned around. In 2018 Netta won the Eurovision Song Contest with the song “Toy”, the song has gone on to be the most viewed Eurovision entry of all time on YouTube.