The ten acts competing to represent Iceland at the Eurovision Song Contest 2019 have leaked hours before the official reveal show.
The participants in Söngvakeppnin 2019 have been revealed hour before the official launch show takes place on RÚV this evening. Among the ten acts who are competing to represent Tel Aviv are two acts who have previously been to Eurovision; Friðrik Ómar (2008) and Hera Björk (2010).
The ten participants and their songs are:
- Daníel Óliver – Samt ekki (Not yet) – Licky Licky
- Elli Grill, Skaði, Glymur – Jeijó, keyrum alla leið (Jeijó, we drive all the way)
- Friðrik Ómar – Hvað ef ég get ekki elskað? (What if I can’t love?) – What If I Can´t Have Love?
- Hatari – Hatrið mun sigra (Hate will prevail)
- Heiðrún Anna Björnsdóttir – Helgi (Weekend) – Sunday Boy
- Hera Björk – Eitt andartak (One moment)- Moving On
- Ívar Daníels – Þú bætir mig (You improve me)- Make Me Whole
- Kristina Skoubo Bærendsen – Ég á mig sjálf (I have myself)- Mama Said
- Tara Mobee – Betri án þín (Better without you)- Fighting For Love
- Þórdís Imsland – Nú og hér (Now and here) – What Are You Waiting For?
The semi-finals of Söngvakeppnin 2019 will take place on 9th and 16th of February, with the final taking place on March 2nd. A number of changes have been made to the show for 2019 in the hopes of taking the nation to their first final since 2014.
Iceland debuted in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1986 and, aside from 2 years of relegation in 1998 and 2002, has participated every year since. The contest is incredibly popular in Iceland, regularly being one of the most watched programmes of the year. Iceland has yet to win the contest but has finished in 2nd on two occasions. In 1999, Selma missed out on victory in Jerusalem by 17 points, and in 2009 Yohanna became the most successful Icelandic entrant ever finishing 2nd in the final with the song “Is it True?”. She scored 218 points, yet still finished 169 points behind the runaway winner Norway.