INFE Azerbaijan has revealed the fifteen artists who took part in the auditions round to represent the nation at Eurovision 2019.
The singers who are in the running to represent Azerbaijan in Tel Aviv at Eurovision 2019 have been revealed. INFE Azerbaijan has revealed the list of fifteen artists who have taken part in the auditions round at iTV. The singers who took part in the auditions round were:
- Emiliya Yaqubova – Winner of the first season of the Voice of Azerbaijan
- Samira Efendi – Participated in the Azerbaijani selection multiple times
- Maryam Shabanova – Finalist in the 2010 selection process
- Vlada Ahundova – Participated in the 2012 and 2013 selection, as well as the Turkvision selection in 2014
- Tofig Hajiyev – Participant in the Voice of Azerbaijan and presenter for MTV Azerbaijan
- Huseyn Abdullayev – Was one of the three singers shortlisted to represent Azerbaijan in 2016
- Altun Zeynalov – Participated in the 2012 national selection
- Ruslan Alishan – Competed in the 2014 selection as well as Voice of Azerbaijan and Voice of Turkey
- Sarkhan Jafarov – Competed in the Azerbaijani selection for Turkvision 2014
- Narmin Karimbayova – Participated in the Voice of Azerbaijan 2016
- Elvin Novruzov – Participated in the Voice of Azerbaijan 2016
- Rilaya – Took part in the 2013 and 2014 Azeri selection for Eurovision
- Leman Dadasheva (Dadashova) – Semi-finalist in the Voice of Azerbaijan 2016
- Narmin Behbudova – Was also shortlisted in 2015 to represent Azerbaijan at Eurovision
- Narmina Seyidova – Was also shortlisted in 2015 to represent Azerbaijan at Eurovision
The first audition rounds were held by iTV on the 20th of November. Azerbaijan has not held a televised selection process for the Eurovision Song Contest since 2014. Since this point both the singer and song for the Eurovision Song Contest have both been selected internally by iTV.
Aisel represented Azerbaijan at this year’s contest in Lisbon, Portugal. However, she failed to qualify for the final with her song “X My Heart”, finishing 11th. She was 14 points away from qualification, and this was the first time the country failed to make it to the final.
Source: INFE Azerbaijan
Azerbaijan debuted in the Eurovision Song Contest in 2008, they were represented by Elnur & Samir with the song “Day After Day”, they finished 8th in the final. In 2011 Azerbaijan won the Eurovision Song Contest represented by Ell & Nikki and their song “Running Scared”. The song scored a total of 221 points, receiving only three sets of 12 points from Malta, Russia and Turkey. In 2018 Azerbaijan failed to qualify for the final for the first time, having previously had a 100% qualification record.