Tonight the host nation of Portugal becomes the latest country to select their song for the Eurovision Song Contest 2018.
The final of Festival da Canção 2018 takes place tonight live from the Pavilhão Multiusos de Guimarães in Guimarães. For the first time since the early 00s, the final of the Portuguese selection process travels outside of Lisbon. With the winner becoming the first Portuguese singer to perform on the Eurovision stage in their home country.
The running order is as follows:
- Rui David – Sem medo
- Susana Travassos – A mensageira
- Peter Serrado – Sunset
- Joana Espadinha – Zero a zero
- Lili – O voo das cegonhas
- Catarina Miranda – Para sorrir eu não preciso de nada
- Joana Barra Vaz – Anda estragar-me os planos
- David Pessoa – Amor veloz
- Minnie & Rhayra – Patati patata
- Janeiro – (sem título)
- Maria Inês Paris – Bandeira azul
- Anabela – Para te dar abrigo
- Cláudia Pascoal – O jardim
- Peu Madureira – Só por ela
The winner of the show will be decided by 50% public voting and 50% jury voting. Public voting has been open since Monday while the jury vote is formed of a combination of regional juries.
You can find the link to watch tonight’s show at Eurovoix Showcase.
Portugal in the Eurovision Song Contest
Portugal debuted in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1964 represented by António Calvário, the country finished last scoring nul points. Prior to 2016, the best result of Portugal in the contest was 6th place. This 6th place came in 1996 when Lúcia Moniz performed “O meu coração não tem cor” on stage in Oslo, Norway. She scored 92 points receiving 12 points from both Norway and Cyprus. Since their debut in 1964 Portugal has missed a total of five contests, the latest being in 2016. After their spectacular win last May, in Kyiv, Portugal will host the 2018 edition of the contest in the capital, Lisbon.