Tonight the first night of Festival della Canzone Italiana di Sanremo 2018 takes place, with all twenty artists taking to the Sanremo stage.
The first night of the 68th edition of Festival della Canzone Italiana di Sanremo gets underway this evening. Twenty artists will be taking to the stage, as the Italian public is introduced to all of the singers and their songs.
The twenty participants in the Campioni category of Sanremo 2018 are:
- Roby Facchinetti e Riccardo Fogli – “Il segreto del tempo” (The secret of time)
- Nina Zilli – “Senza appartenere” (Without belonging)
- The Kolors – “Frida”
- Diodato and Rosy Paci – “Adesso” (Now)
- Mario Biondi – “Rivederti” (Seeing you again)
- Luca Barbarossa – “Passame er sale” (Pass me the salt)
- Lo stato sociale – “Una vita in vacanza” (A life on holiday)
- Annalisa – “Il mondo prima di te” (The world before you)
- Giovanni Caccamo – “Eterno” (Eternal)
- Enzo Avitabile and P. Servillo – “Il coraggio di ogni giorno” (The courage of every day)
- Ornalla Vanoni, Bungaro and Pacifico – “Imparare ad amarsi” (Learning to love oneself)
- Renzo Rubino – “Custodire” (Cherish)
- Noemi – “Non smettere mai di cercarmi” (Never stop looking for me)
- Ermal Meta e Fabrizio Moro – “Non mi avete fatto niente” (You never did anything to me)
- Le vibrazioni – “Così sbagliato” (So wrong)
- Ron – Almeno pensami” (At least think of me)
- Max Gazzè – “La leggenda di Cristalda e Pizzomunno” (The legend of Cristalda and Pizzomunno)
- Decibel – “Fuori dal tempo” (Outside of time)
- Red Canzian – “Ognuno ha il suo racconto” (Everyone has their story)
- Elio e le storie tese – “Arrivederci” (Goodbye)
Several former Italian Eurovision representatives feature in the Campioni category. Nina Zilli came eighth in 2012 with “L’amore è femmina (Out of love)”. Riccardo Fogli came eleventh in 1983 with “Per Lucia”. Enrico Ruggeri, the lead singer of Decibel, came twelvth in 1993 with “Sole d’Europa” and Luca Barbarossa also came twelvth in 1988 with “Vivo (Ti scrivo)”.
Unlike in previous years none of the singers will be eliminated before the final on Saturday night. Instead voting throughout this week will be carried through to the final and help determine the three who go through to the “Super Final”.
The winner of the Campioni Category receives the right to represent Italy at the Eurovision Song Contest. However they are not obliged to take part in Eurovision, as seen in 2016 when Stadio declined to participate in the contest. In the event that the winner decides not to compete in the Eurovision Song Contest, RAI and the organisers of Sanremo reserve the right to select the Italian entrant.
You can watch the show live from 20:30 CET here.
Italy in the Eurovision Song Contest
Italy debuted in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1956 and has participated a total of 42 times to date. Italy returned to the Eurovision Song Contest in 2011 having last participated in the contest in 1997, the country has withdrawn from the contest on a number of occasions in the past. Italy has won the contest twice, the first time being in 1964 and the latest being in 1990. Italy’s hosting of the contest in 1991 has been remembered as one of the most chaotic contests to date. Since their return in 2011 Italy has finished in the top 10 on five occasions.