Russia channel Vremya will be broadcasting Sanremo 2018 live to viewers across the Russian Federation.
Channel One’s Vremya network will be airing all five nights of Festival della Canzone Italiana di Sanremo 2018 live. From 22:30 (Moscow Time) every night this week the channel will bring Sanremo to viewers, showing all of the performances.
Coverage of Sanremo will be supported by a number of additional programs discussing Italian music, the traditions and culture of Italy as well as many other topics. Sanremo has been broadcast in Russia for a number of decades, having built up a large following during the Soviet Union.
The twenty participants in the Campioni category of Sanremo 2018 are:
- Roby Facchinetti e Riccardo Fogli – “Il segreto del tempo” (The secret of time)
- Nina Zilli – “Senza appartenere” (Without belonging)
- The Kolors – “Frida”
- Diodato and Rosy Paci – “Adesso” (Now)
- Mario Biondi – “Rivederti” (Seeing you again)
- Luca Barbarossa – “Passame er sale” (Pass me the salt)
- Lo stato sociale – “Una vita in vacanza” (A life on holiday)
- Annalisa – “Il mondo prima di te” (The world before you)
- Giovanni Caccamo – “Eterno” (Eternal)
- Enzo Avitabile and P. Servillo – “Il coraggio di ogni giorno” (The courage of every day)
- Ornalla Vanoni, Bungaro and Pacifico – “Imparare ad amarsi” (Learning to love oneself)
- Renzo Rubino – “Custodire” (Cherish)
- Noemi – “Non smettere mai di cercarmi” (Never stop looking for me)
- Ermal Meta e Fabrizio Moro – “Non mi avete fatto niente” (You never did anything to me)
- Le vibrazioni – “Così sbagliato” (So wrong)
- Ron – Almeno pensami” (At least think of me)
- Max Gazzè – “La leggenda di Cristalda e Pizzomunno” (The legend of Cristalda and Pizzomunno)
- Decibel – “Fuori dal tempo” (Outside of time)
- Red Canzian – “Ognuno ha il suo racconto” (Everyone has their story)
- Elio e le storie tese – “Arrivederci” (Goodbye)
Several former Italian Eurovision representatives feature in the Campioni category. Nina Zilli came eighth in 2012 with “L’amore è femmina (Out of love)”. Riccardo Fogli came eleventh in 1983 with “Per Lucia”. Enrico Ruggeri, the lead singer of Decibel, came twelvth in 1993 with “Sole d’Europa” and Luca Barbarossa also came twelvth in 1988 with “Vivo (Ti scrivo)”.
The 68th edition of the Sanremo Festival will take place from February 6 – 10 in the Ariston Theatre in Sanremo. The winner of the Campioni Category receives the right to represent Italy at the Eurovision Song Contest. However they are not obliged to take part in Eurovision, as seen in 2016 when Stadio declined to participate in the contest. In the event that the winner decides not to compete in the Eurovision Song Contest, RAI and the organisers of Sanremo reserve the right to select the Italian entrant.
Russia in the Eurovision Song Contest
Russia debuted in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1994 and has gone on to be one of the most successful countries in the contest. Since the mid-00s Russia has had a string of strong results including their first and only victory to date in 2008. Dima Bilan won the contest in Belgrade, Serbia with the song “Believe” taking the contest to Moscow the following year. On their last two appearances, Russia has finished in 2nd and 3rd place respectively in the final.