TRM, the Moldovan national broadcaster, has announced the 16 acts that will advance to the final of O Melodie pentru Europa 2018.
27 acts competed in the live audition round of O Melodie pentru Europa 2018 on Wednesday. Pelageya Stefoglo, who was meant to take part in the audition round with “Let’s Start Together Right Now”, was disqualified for having taken part in the audition round of the Belarusian selection. A jury led by Nelly Ciobanu, who represented Moldova in 2009, judged the acts on their vocal abilities. Originally, the jury were supposed to select 16 acts that would progress to the semi-final on February 22. However, due to low turnout at the auditions, it was decided that all 16 acts would progress directly to the final on February 24.
The 16 finalists are:
- Anna Odobescu – “Agony”
- Anna Timofei – “Endlessly”
- Bella Luna – “Moments”
- Che MD – “Inima-n stângă” (Heart To The Left)
- Cobîlean Constantin – “Numai Tu” (Only You)
- Doinița Gherman – “Dance In Flames”
- DoReDos – “My Lucky Day”
- Felicia Dunaf – “Alien”
- Ilia Soroceanu & Dasha DaGro – “Minds & Veins”
- Lavinia Rusu – “Altundeva” (Somewhere Else)
- Nicoleta Sava – “Esencia Del Sur” (Essence Of The South)
- Ruslan Tsar – “Come To Life”
- Sandy C & Aaron Sibley – “Once Upon A Time”
- Tolik – “Broken Glass”
- Vera Țurcanu – “Black Heart”
- Viorela – “The Gates Of Love”
The winner of the national final will be decided by 50% jury voting and 50% public voting. Last year, SunStroke Project finished third in the final with “Hey Mama”, giving Moldova their best result ever in the contest.
Moldova in the Eurovision Song Contest
Moldova debuted in the Eurovision Song Contest in 2005 when the contest was last held in Kyiv, Ukraine. In 2005 Moldova debuted in the contest alongside Bulgaria, while that year Hungary also returned to the contest having been absent since 1998. Moldova was in its worse run of results in their history in the contest, having failed to make the final since 2013. At the 2016 contest in Stockholm, the country finished 17th in their semi-final scoring a total of 33 points.