Ermal Meta & Fabrizio Moro, who will participate as a duo in the upcoming 68th edition of the Sanremo Festival, have revealed that their song is intended to combat the fear “born after the Manchester attacks” that occurred last May.
Ermal & Fabrizio revealed in an interview with ‘Corriere della Sera’ that their song ‘Non mi avete fatto niente’ (‘You Did Not Do Anything To Me’) is a response to the fear that resulted from the terrorist attack that took place at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester last May. The pair discussed their responses to the attack and its meaning for musicians.
Ermal said that:
When one is afraid or cold, one embraces one another. Music plays a role of aggregation and awakens consciences more than a political discourse. It brings people together.
Meanwhile Fabrizio discussed his personal emotions in the wake of the attack:
A few days later I had to play at the PalaEur in Rome. I started receiving emails and messages asking me if the show would still be there. There was a minute of silence, I felt a more intense energy coming up from the audience, I saw many hugs.
This is not the first time that the pair will take to the Sanremo stage with an intense, serious message. Last year, Ermal finished in 3rd place with his song “Vietato morire” (“Forbidden to Die”), which focused on the issue of domestic violence. Moreover, in 2007 Fabrizio won the Newcomer section of the contest with “Pensa” (“Think”), a song inspired by Italian judge Paolo Borsellino, who was murdered by the Mafia. The song was intended to speak out against the Mafia and violence in general.
Yet the pair have said that this song will not be a ballad. Ermal claimed that this would have been too intense a performance.
What did ancient men do to overcome fears? They danced. This is a dance against fear.
Ermal & Fabrizio be one of the 20 acts participating in this year’s Sanremo Festival. The 5-day festival will begin on 6th February, with the final taking place on Saturday 10th February. As in previous years, the winner of Sanremo will receive the right to represent Italy in this year’s Eurovision Song Contest in Lisbon, Portugal; however the winning artist has the right to refuse the offer, in which case the right will be passed on to the 2nd and 3rd placed artists. Last year, Francesco Gabbani won the 67th Sanremo Festival with “Occidentali’s Karma” which went on to represent Italy in Eurovision, eventually finishing in 6th place with 334 points.
Source: Corriere della Sera