Award winner HiHat has been announced as the creative director and choreographer of Asmik Shiroyan’s Depi Evratesil entry.
Asmik Shiroyan, one of the twenty competing artists in this year’s Depi Evratesil, has announced that she will be working with HiHat and HiHat Productions in the competition. Last week Asmik also revealed on her Facebook page that her song will be called “You & I”.
Asmik was one of the fan favourites in Depi Evratesil last year. This year, she has worked with an international songwriting team, who have worked with the likes of James Arthur, Kylie Minogue, and more.
HiHat is an Emmy award winner who has been creative director and choreographer of many shows and entertainers such as Rihanna and Justin Bieber. In addition to this, she has been on So You Think You Can Dance as a guest judge.
Beginning tomorrow, the Armenian broadcaster will be revealing five songs a day. The artists and song release dates are as follows:
- 15th January –
- Amaliya Margaryan
- Hayk Kasparov
- Tamar Kaprelian
- Suren Poghosyan
- 16th January –
- Sevak Khanagyan
- Kamil Show
- 17th January –
- Mger Armenia
- Arman Mesropyan
- Asmik Shiroyan
- Zhanna Davtyan
- Gevorg Harutyunyan
- 18th January –
- Robert Koloyan
- Maria’s Secret
- Lusine Mardanyan
- Mariam Petrosyan
- Gata Band
The selection will kick off on February 3rd. Eurovision fans may recognise Tamar Kaprelian among the line-up, as she took part in the Eurovision Song Contest 2015, representing Armenia as part of the group Genealogy. Tamar was one of the five singers who represented the Armenian diaspora in the group (in her case the diaspora on the American continent). The group reached the final of the contest and finished in 16th place.
Depi Evratesil was used for the first time last year to select Armenia’s Eurovision 2017 entrant, Artsvik. At the Eurovision Song Contest, she placed 18th in the Grand Final with her song “Fly With Me”.
Former Eurovision participants made up the judging panel last year, and choose their favourite artists each week to be on their team. On the judging panel last year was:
- Anush Arshakyan – Part of the duo Inga & Anush who represented Armenia in 2009 with the song “Jan Jan”.
- Aram MP3 – Finished 4th for Armenia at the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest with the song “Not Alone”.
- Essaï Altounian – Represented Armenia at the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest in Vienna, Austria as part of the group Genealogy.
- Hayko – Represented Armenia on their second appearance at the Eurovision Song Contest in 2007.
- Inga Arshakyan – Part of the duo Inga & Anush (Eurovision 2009), she also returned to the contest in 2015 as part of the group Genealogy.
- Iveta Mukuchyan – Represented Armenia at the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest in Stockholm, Sweden.
Armenia debuted in the Eurovision Song Contest in 2006 and has participated every year since excluding 2012. Armenia’s best results came in 2008 and 2014 when they finished 4th in the final. Armenia has only once not managed to qualify for the final, in 2011 Emmy finished 12th in her semi-final with the song “Boom Boom”, she was 1 point away from qualifying for the final. At the 2017 contest in Kyiv, Armenia was represented by Artsvik and the song “Fly with Me” finishing 18th in the final.