Supernova 2018 will start on February 3rd.
Latvian broadcaster LTV has confirmed that Supernova 2018 will begin on February 3rd. This is the first time that the show will be broadcasted on a Saturday, as for the past three years the show has been broadcasted on Sunday. The dates of the other shows have not yet been confirmed, but they will most likely be every Saturday after.
Twenty-one artists will take part in Supernova this year. These are:
- Agnese Stengrevics – You Are My World
- Liene Greifane – Walk the Talk
- MIONIA – You
- Laura Rizzotto – Funny Girl
- MADARA – Esamiba
- Katrine Lukins – Running Red Lights
- Monta – 1000 Roses
- Jenny May – Soledad
- Markus Riva – This Time
- Edgars Kreilis – Younger Days
- Ritvars – Who’s Counting?
- Lauris Valters – Lovers Bliss
- Ed Rallidae – What I Had With You
- In My Head – Sunset
- DVINES – More Than Meets The Eye
- Hypnotic – Pray
- Sudden Lights – Just Fine
- Kris & Oz – Morning Flight
- Rahu the Fool – Oh, Longriver
- Riga Reggae – STOP THE WAR U2
- Katrina Gupalo & the Black Birds – Intoxicating Caramel
Supernova was first used to select the Latvian entry for the Eurovision Song Contest in 2015. It proved successful, as Aminata Savadogo finished 7th in the final with “Love Injected”, Latvia’s first appearance in the final since 2008 and first top 10 placing since 2005.
Latvia debuted in the Eurovision Song Contest in 2000, being the last of the Baltic nations to join the contest. On their debut, Brainstorm finished in 3rd place with the song “My Star”. Latvia won the contest for the first and only time in 2002, with Marie N’s “I Wanna”. Latvia only participated in 2002 thanks to the withdrawal of Portugal from the contest, as Latvia’s poor result in 2001 had relegated them from the 2002 contest. Latvia struggled in to the contest after 2002, failing to qualify for the final for six years between 2009 and 2014. In 2015 and 2016 Latvia has finished 6th and 15th in the final respectively.