Member of the A Dal 2018 jury Mező Misi states he will be “honest” while judging the participants.
Mező Misi is one member of the A Dal jury this year, and in an interview with Hirado.hu, the lead singer of the Magna Cum Laude band stated that he “does not plan his life in advance, and most of all [he] is listening to his heart rather than his mind”. He promises to be as honest about the songs as possible, but also stated:
Sometimes a critique may be rough, but I do not intend to offend anyone. I just tell you what I like or dislike.
Mező is joined on the jury panel by Károly Frenreisz and Miklós Both, as well as newcomer to the panel, Judit Schell.
Over 350 entries were submitted to MTVA for A Dal 2018. The number of submissions has remained at the same level over the past few years. MTVA encouraged both new and established artists to apply for the competition. A pre-selection jury narrowed the submitted songs down to just 30.
The 30 competing acts are:
- #yeahla feat.Viki Eszes – “Egy szó, mint száz”
- Andy Roll – “Turn The Lights On”
- AWS – “Viszlát nyár”
- Ceasefire X – “Satellites”
- Cintia Horváth – “Journey”
- Fourtissimo – “Kisnyuszi a kalapban”
- Gabi Knoll – “Nobody to die for”
- Gábor Heincz ”BIGA” – “Good vibez”
- Gergely Dánielfy – “Azt mondtad”
- Ham ko Ham – “Bármerre jársz”
- Leander Kills – “Nem szól harang”
- Living Room – “Kirakat élet”
- Maszkura és a Tücsökraj – “Nagybetus szavak”
- Maya ‘n’ Peti – “Nekem te”
- Nemzenekar – “Waiting”
- Nene zenekar – “Mese a királyról” (Tale of the King)
- Nikoletta Szoke, Attila Kökény, Róbert Szakcsi Lakatos – “Életre kel”
- Noémo – “Levegot”
- Nova Prospect – “Vigyázó”
- Peet Project – “Runaround”
- Odett Polgár – “Aranyhal”
- Reni Tolvai – “Everest”
- Roland Gulyás – “Hypnotized”
- SativuS – “Lusta lány”
- Tamás Horváth – “Meggyfa”
- Tamás Vastag – “Ne hagyj reményt”
- The Matter – “Broken Palms”
- Viktor Király – “Budapest Girl”
- Yesyes – “I let you run away”
- Zsolt Süle – “Zöld a május”
A Dal 2018 will begin on the 20th of January 2018. The competition will conclude on the 24th of February. The competition will take in three heats, two semi-finals, and the grand final. In addition, before the competition begins there will be two special programmes broadcast on the 6th and 13th of January celebrating the last six years of the A Dal competition. The winner of A Dal will represent Hungary in the Eurovision Song Contest 2018 in Lisbon, Portugal. There will also be two further awards given out: “Best Lyrics of A Dal 2018” and “New Talent of A Dal 2018”.
A Dal has been used since 2012 to select the Hungarian entry for the Eurovision Song Contest. Hungary has also qualified for the final every year since then. Joci Pápai’s entry “Origo” managed to reach a respectable 8th place, the first time since 2014 that Hungary has reached the top 10 in the competition. The nation are still waiting on their first win at the contest.