The participants in Depi Evratesil, the Armenian selection process for the Eurovision Song Contest 2018 have been revealed.
Following meetings yesterday at Armenia Public Television, the line up for the second series of Depi Evratesil has today been revealed by the broadcaster. A total of twenty singers and bands have been selected to take part in the selection which will kick off on February 3.
The participants are:
- Robert Kvoloyan
- Sevak Khanaghyan
- Suren Poghosyan
- Mher Armenia
- Zhanna Davtyan
- Hayk Kasparov
- Gevorg Harutyunyan
- Maria Sikret
- Hasmik Shiroyan
- Amaliya Margaryan
- Tamar Kaprelian
- Lusine Mardanyan
- Arman Mesropyan
- Kamil (Arsen Grigoryan)
- Gata bend
Among the artists announced today is past Eurovision participant, Tamar Kaprelian. Tamar is best known to Eurovision fans as being one-sixth of the supergroup “Genealogy” which represented Armenia in the Eurovision Song Contest 2015 in Vienna with the song Face the Shadow. Tamar was one of the five singers who represented the Armenian diaspora in the group (in her case the diaspora on the American continent). The group reached the final of the contest and finished in 16th place.
Depi Evratesil was used for the first time last year to select Armenia’s Eurovision 2017 entrant, Artsvik. At the Eurovision Song Contest, she placed 18th in the Grand Final with her song “Fly With Me”.
Former Eurovision participants made up the judging panel last year, and choose their favourite artists each week to be on their team. On the judging panel last year was:
- Anush Arshakyan – Part of the duo Inga & Anush who represented Armenia in 2009 with the song “Jan Jan”.
- Aram MP3 – Finished 4th for Armenia at the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest with the song “Not Alone”.
- Essaï Altounian – Represented Armenia at the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest in Vienna, Austria as part of the group Genealogy.
- Hayko – Represented Armenia on their second appearance at the Eurovision Song Contest in 2007.
- Inga Arshakyan – Part of the duo Inga & Anush (Eurovision 2009), she also returned to the contest in 2015 as part of the group Genealogy.
- Iveta Mukuchyan – Represented Armenia at the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest in Stockholm, Sweden.
Source: Depi Evratesil
Armenia in the Eurovision Song Contest
Armenia debuted in the Eurovision Song Contest in 2006 and has participated every year since excluding 2012. Armenia’s best results came in 2008 and 2014 when they finished 4th in the final. Armenia has only once not managed to qualify for the final, in 2011 Emmy finished 12th in her semi-final with the song “Boom Boom”, she was 1 point away from qualifying for the final. At the 2017 contest in Kyiv, Armenia was represented by Artsvik and the song “Fly with Me” finishing 18th in the final.