The 60 acts that will compete in Selecția Națională 2018 have been revealed.
Romanian broadcaster TVR has revealed the names and song titles of the sixty acts that will take part in Selecția Națională 2018. TVR received a total of 72 submissions, which were whittled down to 60 by a jury. The 60 participating artists are:
- Lina – A Love Worth Falling For
2. Erminio Sinni & Titziana Camelin – All The Love Away
3. SAVE – All We Need
4. Jukebox feat. Bella Santiago – Auzi Cum Bate
5. Alessandro Danescu – Breaking Up
6. Feli – Buna De Iubit
7. Zavera – Come Back To Me
8. ZOLTAN – Daca Dragostea E Oarba
9. Mares Pana – Daydremer
10. TIRI – Desert De Sentimente
11. Johnny Badulescu – Devoted
12. Meriem – End The Battle
13. Sergiu Bolota – Every Little Thing
14. Dora Gaitanovici – Fara Tine
15. Aurel Dinca – Fire In The Sky
16. Daniel Freia – Fix Me
17. Teodora Dinu – Fly
18. Hellen – From Underneath
19. The HUMANS – Goodbye
20. M I H A I – Heaven
21. Paula Crisan – I Am Here
22. Iliana – I Won’t Lie
23. Tavi Clonda – King
24. VYROS – La La La
25. Jessie Banes – Lightning Strikes
26. Evermorph – Live Your Life
27. Romeo Zaharia – Maybe This Time
28. Eduard Santha – Mesom Romales
29. Echoes – Mirror
30. Cristian Simionescu – Nirvana
31. Alex Florea – Nobody Told Me It Would Hurt
32. Othello – Noi Suntem Padure
33. Alice Jeckel – Out Of The Dark
34. Diana Bratan – Paint It Rainbow
35. Dan Manciulea – Raza De Soare
36. Carolina Gorun – Reach Out For The Stars
37. Waleska – Reborn
38. Lion’s Roar – Rekindle The Flame
39. Elena Hasna – Revival
40. Liviu Anghel – Rise Up
41. Miruna Diaconescu – Run For You
42. Serena – Safari
43. Alexandru Ungureanu – Sail With Me
44. Eliza Chifu – So Good Without You
45. Manuel Chivari – Somebody To Love
46. Maria Suciu – Sweet Nothing
47. CornEL – Take Me Away
48. Pragu De Sus – Te Voi Chema
49. Tom Leo Wiart – Teardrop Rain
50. Denisa Trofim – Tears
51. Claudia Andas – The One
52. Elena Turcu – The Perfect Fall
53. Ayona – The Story Goes On
54. Endless Feat Maria Grosu – Thinking About You
55. Ioana Ciornea – Time After Time
56. Bernice Chitiul – Too Busy For My Heart
57. XANDRA – Try
58. Nicoleta Ticala – Una Oportunidad
59. Alexia & Matei – Walking On Water
60. RAFAEL – We Are One
Earlier today, the jury members were also revealed. These are:
- Marian Ionescu – Founder of the band Directia 5, have had a number of hits in Romania as well as previously attempting to represent Romania at the Eurovision Song Contest.
- Ilinca – Represented Romania at the Eurovision Song Contest 2017 with the song “Yodel It!”, she performed with Alex Florea in Kyiv and finished 7th.
- Nicu Patoi – Has been part of the Romanian music industry for over 30 years. He has previously taken part in the Eurovision Song Contest, as a guitarist alongside Malina Olinescu at Eurovision 1998.
- Liliana Stefan – Composer, Producer and lyricist, she has previously written the 1998 Eurovision entry for Romania. She’s also worked with a number of well known Romanian artists.
- Viorel Gavrila – Member of the Union of Composers and Musicologists of Bucharest, has previously been the chair of the Romanian selection jury.
As previously reported, the format of the show to select Romania’s Eurovision entry for 2018 has been significantly revamped. Throughout January and February 2018, 6 shows will take place in various cities across Romania with the first show due to be broadcast from Suceava. The newly expanded Selecţia Naţională is part of a series of programs created by TVR to mark the 100th anniversary of the Great Union Day, the national holiday of Romania.
The expansion of the contest will allow for a total of 60 songs to compete in the 5 semi-finals, 12 in each show. According to the official rules of the show, 15 songs will advance to the Grand Final of Selecţia Naţională 2018 on 25 February 2018. The victor will follow in the footsteps of Ilinca and Alex Florea who reached 7th place in Eurovision 2017 with Yodel It!
Romania first participated in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1994, the country had tried to participate in 1993 but failed to get through the pre-qualifying round. At the 1994 contest Dan Bittman finished 21st in the final scoring 14 points, Romania didn’t make it through to another final until 1998. Romania’s best results in the contest are two third-place finishes. In 2005 Luminita Anghel & Sistem finished 3rd scoring 158 points, while Paula Seling & Ovi finished 3rd in Oslo with the song “Playing with Fire”. Romania missed the 2016 contest due to TVR being removed from the EBU.