TVR has revealed the jury members for Selecţia Naţională 2018, the Romanian selection process for Lisbon.
The judges taking part in the Romanian selection process for Eurovision 2018 have been revealed today by TVR. The six judges in the selection process are;
- Marian Ionescu – Founder of the band Directia 5, have had a number of hits in Romania as well as previously attempting to represent Romania at the Eurovision Song Contest.
- Ilinca – Represented Romania at the Eurovision Song Contest 2017 with the song “Yodel It!”, she performed with Alex Florea in Kyiv and finished 7th.
- Nicu Patoi – Has been part of the Romanian music industry for over 30 years. He has previously taken part in the Eurovision Song Contest, as a guitarist alongside Malina Olinescu at Eurovision 1998.
- Liliana Stefan – Composer, Producer and lyricist, she has previously written the 1998 Eurovision entry for Romania. She’s also worked with a number of well known Romanian artists.
- Viorel Gavrila – Member of the Union of Composers and Musicologists of Bucharest, has previously been the chair of the Romanian selection jury.
s previously reported, the format of the show to select Romania’s Eurovision entry for 2018 has been significantly revamped. Throughout January and February 2018, 6 shows will take place in various cities across Romania with the first show due to be broadcast from Suceava. The newly expanded Selecţia Naţională is part of a series of programs created by TVR to mark the 100th anniversary of the Great Union Day, the national holiday of Romania.
The expansion of the contest will allow for a total of 60 songs to compete in the 5 semi-finals, 12 in each show. According to the official rules of the show, 15 songs will advance to the Grand Final of Selecţia Naţională 2018 on 25 February 2018. The victor will follow in the footsteps of Ilinca and Alex Florea who reached 7th place in Eurovision 2017 with Yodel It!
A preselection stage is currently underway, with all 72 artists auditioning in front of an audience and a jury panel, who will select the 60 artists who will compete in the shows.
Romania in the Eurovision Song Contest
Romania first participated in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1994, the country had tried to participate in 1993 but failed to get through the pre-qualifying round. At the 1994 contest Dan Bittman finished 21st in the final scoring 14 points, Romania didn’t make it through to another final until 1998. Romania’s best results in the contest are two third place finishes. In 2005 Luminita Anghel & Sistem finished 3rd scoring 158 points, while Paula Seling & Ovi finished 3rd in Oslo with the song “Playing with Fire”. Romania missed the 2016 contest due to TVR being removed from the EBU.