The Estonian broadcaster ERR has announced the twenty acts who will be participating in the 2018 edition of their Eurovision selection show, Eesti Laul.
The twenty semi-finalists competing in the 10th edition of Eesti Laul were announced this evening. The songs were chosen from a record-breaking 258 entries, an increase on last year’s record of 242.
Competing in the 2018 competition are a couple of familiar faces for Eurovision fans. Estonia’s 2015 representative Stig Rästa, who finished in 7th place in the grand final with the song “Goodbye to Yesterday” along with Elina Born, will return to Eesti Laul in 2018. This follows his participation in last year’s Eesti Laul as composer to Elina Born’s solo entry “In or Out”, which finished in last place in the grand final.
Another familiar face is Gerli Padar, Estonia’s representative at the 2007 contest in Helsinki. She finished 22nd out of 24 participants in the semi-final with her song “Partners in Crime”, and hence failed to qualify for the grand final.
Three more notable participants from the list of confirmed artists are Rolf Roosalu, Indrek Ventmann and Karl Kristjan. Rolf has previously attempted to represent Estonia at the Eurovision Song Contest a total of six times, the most recent being in 2013. Meanwhile, Indrek Ventmann attempted to represent Estonia in 2016 with the song “Hispaania tüdruk” and failed to qualify from its semi-final, and Karl Kristjan came in 4th place in Eesti Laul 2017 with the song “Have You Know”, in collaboration with Whogaux and Maian.
The twenty songs will all be officially released on the 19th and 20th December. The full list of participants and their songs is as follows:
- Aden Ray – “Everybody’s Dressed”
- Desiree – “On My Mind”
- Ellis Parna & Gerli Padar – “Sky”
- Elina Netsajeva – “La Forza”
- Etnopatsy – “Kulm”
- Evestus – “Welcome to my World”
- Frankie Animal – “(Can’t Keep Calling) Misty”
- Girls in Pearls – “Spellbound”
- Iiris & Agoh – “Drop That Boogie”
- Indrek Ventmann – “Tempel”
- Karl Kristjan & Karl Killing (feat. Wateva) – “Young”
- Marju Lanik – “Täna otsuseid ei tee”
- Metsakutsu – “Koplifornia”
- Miljardid – “Pseudoprobleem”
- Nika – “Knock Knock”
- Rolf Roosalu – “Show A Little Love”
- Sibyl Vane – “Thousands Words”
- Stig Rästa – “Home”
- Tiiu x Okym x Semy – “Näita oma energiat”
- Vajé – “Laura (Walk With Me)”
Next year’s Estonian representative will follow Koit Toome & Laura, who represented the country in Kyiv with the song “Verona”. The pair finished in 14th place in their semi-final.