Online voting is now open in Latvia’s national final Supernova 2018.
Today the online voting for Latvia’s Eurovision selection show Supernova 2018 has opened. Fans from around the world will be able to express their opinion of the participating songs by clicking the “like” or “dislike” buttons. The names of the artists haven’t been revealed this year as to prevent potential influences to the voting. The jury will then select the artists that have made it through to the next stage of the competition, taking into consideration the results of the online voting.
The next stage of the competition will see the selected artists perform live to the professional jury. The jury will be made up of Latvian music experts and industry representatives from outside of Latvia.
Listen to the songs and cast your votes here.
LTV had also released some interesting facts about the upcoming competition:
- A total of 93 songs were submitted to Supernova 2018, which were then whittled down to just 63.
- The majority of the songs are in English, with five songs in Latvian, one in both Latvian and English, one in Livonian, and one in Spanish.
- Six of the authors have submitted two songs.
- Eight potential members have already participated in Supernova in the past
- To listen to all the songs at least once, the jury will need around three hours
[tw-accordion-section title=”Latvia in the Eurovision Song Contest”]
Latvia debuted in the Eurovision Song Contest in 2000, being the last of the Baltic nations to join the contest. On their debut, Brainstorm finished in 3rd place with the song “My Star”. Latvia won the contest for the first and only time in 2002, with Marie N’s “I Wanna”. Latvia only participated in 2002 thanks to the withdrawal of Portugal from the contest, as Latvia’s poor result in 2001 had relegated them from the 2002 contest. Latvia struggled in to the contest after 2002, failing to qualify for the final for six years between 2009 and 2014. In 2015 and 2016 Latvia has finished 6th and 15th in the final respectively.