Stiko Per Larsson the winner of P4 Nästa 2017 has been selected to compete in Melodifestivalen 2018, becoming the first known national selection participant of 2018.
Eight singers from across Sweden traveled to Linköping to take part in the final of P4 Nästa 2017. The finalists were chosen from over 20 acts who had won their local P4 selection processes between April and August. The singers who took to the stage were:
- Stiko Per Larsson – “Kumpaner (Vi är som)
- Miah – “That’s When We All Come Falling Down”
- Chris L Svensson – “Drive”
- Sisanda – “If This Is Love”
- Frontback – “On and On”
- Maija Homhom – “Skyskrapor”
- Michi – “Friday Night Club Escape”
- Jo’ & Eliah – “Since”
The jury explained why they selected Stiko Per Larsson to take part in Melodifestivalen 2018, stating that the singer has;
A large dose of charm, stable presence on both the stage and in its artistic expression.
Format of P4 Nästa
The P4 Nästa competition lasts between March and August. The aim of the shows are to find new and upcoming artists, to kickstart their careers in the world of music. 25 districts across Sweden hold heats to select their winner, who they then send to the next round. A jury then chooses the final 8, who are to perform in the final show. The winning artist gets their song played on the radio show Svensktoppen. For the past few years, some artists from the final have been picked to take part in Melodifestivalen.
- March to April – Submission period to local P4 districts
- April to August – Competitions take place in P4 districts
- Early August – Competitions finish, the jury chooses the final 8 acts
- August – Final 8 acts are presented
- End of August to September – The final is held and an artist is crowned winner
- September to December – The winning artist has their song played on the P4 channels
Source: Sveriges Radio
[tw-accordion-section title=”Sweden in the Eurovision Song Contest”]
Sweden debuted in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1958 and has gone on to be one of the contest’s most successful countries. The country has won the contest six times, the most recent being in 2015. Sweden’s first victory came in 1974 when ABBA won the contest in Brighton with “Waterloo”. Since missing out on the final in 2010, Sweden has gone on to finish 3rd twice and has won the contest twice, only in 2013 did the country place outside of the top 10 in the final.