Côr Merched Sir Gâr will be performing three songs during their performance at Eurovision Choir of the Year 2017 in Riga, Latvia tomorrow.
Côr Merched Sir Gâr have revealed the three songs that they will be performing tomorrow night at the first edition of Eurovision Choir of the Year 2017. The three songs have been selected by the choir’s conductor Islwyn Evans and include two songs that have been arranged by the conductor. The choir will be performing:
- ‘O, Mountain, O’ – Otmar Mácha
- ‘Mil harddach’ – Islwyn Evans
- ‘Wade in the Water’ – Arrangement by Norman Luboff, adapted by Islwyn Evans
Côr Merched Sir Gâr will represent Wales at the first edition of Eurovision Choir of the Year tomorrow night in Riga, Latvia. The choir is formed of pupils from seven schools in Carmarthenshire. The choir won Côr Cymru 2017 in April and won the right to represent Wales at the contest.
Eurovision Choir of the Year will be held for the first time on July 22 in Riga, Latvia as part of the European Choir Games. The European Broadcasting Union has partnered with Interkultur to create this latest Eurovision family event, and both hope to see the format develop into a yearly event.
Competing in the contest are:
- Austria (ORF) – Hardchor Linz
- Belgium (RTBF) – Les Pastoureaux
- Denmark (DR) – Academic Choir of Aarhus
- Estonia (ERR) – Estonian TV Girls’ Choir
- Germany (WDR) – Jazzchor Freiburg
- Latvia (LTV) – Spīgo
- Slovenia (RTVSLO) – Carmen Manet
- Hungary (MTVA) – Bela Bartok Male Choir
- Wales (S4C) – Côr Merched Sir Gâr
The Choirs competing in the contest will perform once for up to 6 minutes. The performance can include one or several works, of any genre, and “should in part reflect national or regional character in some way”. The winner will be decided by a three member jury, on the jury are; Elīna Garanča (Latvia – Mezzo-Soprano), John Rutter (United Kingdom – Composer) and Nicolas Fink (Switzerland – Conductor).