Press Enter / Return to begin your search.

JESC’17: Songs Now Allowed To Be Up to 40% in English

Two rule changes have been announced for the 15th edition of the Junior Eurovision Song Contest in Tbilisi, Georgia.

Gert Kark, Project Manager of the Junior Eurovision Song Contest explained that a number of countries wished to have the verse of their songs in English which was not possible under the previous rules. Previously only up to 25% of a song could be performed in English, with the remaining 75% of the song in a national language.

In addition the rules now allow up to six vocals to be recorded onto the backing track of the performance. However, the lead singers vocals must still be performed live on the night. Previously only five vocals were allowed to be recorded onto the backing track for Junior Eurovision.

The 15th edition of the Junior Eurovision Song Contest will be held on November 26 at the Tbilisi Sports Palace, with the contest travelling to the three time winners of the Junior Eurovision Song Contest for the first time.

To date the following countries have confirmed their participation in the Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2017:

  • Belarus
  • Cyprus
  • Georgia –  Host nation
  • Ireland
  • Malta
  • The Netherlands
  • Russia

The following countries participated in the 2016 contest but are yet to publicly confirm participation:

  • Albania
  • Armenia
  • Australia
  • Bulgaria
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • FYR Macedonia
  • Poland
  • Serbia
  • Ukraine

Source: EBU

2 thoughts on “JESC’17: Songs Now Allowed To Be Up to 40% in English”

  1. In other words, the “40% English” is another way of trying to make the competing entries “understandable” for overseas listeners. Hmm. That’s a new opportunity. But I’m still praying for the televoting to return. :/

    1. Apparently, there’s gonna be more opportunities. By the way, when the regular Eurovision Song Contest’s YouTube channel uploaded “second rehearsal” footage, that was filmed to make it look like the rehearsals were being televised. Junior Eurovision’s YouTube channel should also do this “second rehearsal on camera” thing! 😀

Leave a Comment