Latvia has announced the six choirs who will be competing in Latvija Dzied! and competing to represent Latvia on home soil this July.
The finalists in Latvija Dzied! the Latvian selection process for Eurovision Choir of the Year 2017 have been announced. Six choirs have been invited by the Latvian national broadcaster to compete in the selection on Saturday night, with one choir representing Latvia on home soil this summer in Riga.
All of the choirs competing in the selection are amateur choirs with each performing for a total of six minutes with a piece that reflects the national culture of Latvia. The winner of the selection will be decided by a four member jury and a public televote.
Competing in this weekends selection are:
- Mixed Youth Choir – Maska
- Male Choir – Tēvzeme
- Mixed Choir – Balta
- Secondary School Girls Choir – Spīgo
- Mixed Senior Choir – Atvasara
- Award winning Choir – Nošu planētas
Latvia and Wales are the only two nations competing in this years contest to have opted to use a national selection process to select their participants in the contest.
Eurovision Choir of the Year will be held for the first time on July 22 in Riga, Latvia as part of the European Choir Games. The European Broadcasting Union has partnered with Interkultur to create this latest Eurovision family event, and both hope to see the format develop into a yearly event.
Competing in the contest are:
- Austria (ORF) – Hardchor Linz
- Belgium (RTBF) – Les Pastoreaux
- Denmark (DR) – Academic Choir of Aarhus
- Estonia (ERR) – Estonian TV Girls’ Choir
- Germany (WDR) – Jazzchor Freiburg
- Latvia (LTV) – TBD on April 29
- Slovenia (RTVSLO) – Carmen Manet
- Hungary (MTVA) – Bela Bartok Male Choir
- Wales (S4C) – Côr Merched Sir Gâr
The Choirs competing in the contest will perform once for up to 6 minutes. The performance can include one or several works, of any genre, and “should in part reflect national or regional character in some way”. A jury will be made up of prominent international musicians who will decide the winner of the contest.