Côr Merched Sir Gâr have been selected to represent Wales at Eurovision Choir of the Year 2017, this July in Riga, Latvia.
Côr Merched Sir Gâr will represent Wales at the first edition of Eurovision Choir of the Year later this year in Riga, Latvia. The choir beat off competition from four other choirs tonight in Aberystwyth to represent Wales. Merched Sir Gâr won the competition having qualified for tonight’s final in the Youth Category.
The full list of participants is as follows:
- Côr Ieuenctid Môn – Children’s Category
- Côr Merched Sir Gâr – Youth Category
- Côr Meibion Machynlleth – Male Voice Category
- Ysgol Gerdd Ceredigion – Ladies Choir’s Category
- Côrdydd – Mixed Choirs Category
In the final each choir had to perform for 12 minutes, performing at least one piece in Welsh however they must also not perform more than one song in English. The winner of the show was decided by a jury made up of internationally renowned choir singers and experts. The public at home voted for additional awards for the choirs.
Watch the moment that the choir was announced below:
Eurovision Choir of the Year will be held for the first time on July 22 in Riga, Latvia as part of the European Choir Games. The European Broadcasting Union has partnered with Interkultur to create this latest Eurovision family event, and both hope to see the format develop into a yearly event.
Competing in the contest are:
- Austria (ORF) – Hardchor Linz
- Belgium (RTBF) – Les Pastoreaux
- Denmark (DR) – Academic Choir of Aarhus
- Estonia (ERR) – Estonian TV Girls’ Choir
- Germany (WDR) – Jazzchor Freiburg
- Latvia (LTV) – National selection be held
- Slovenia (RTVSLO) – Carmen Manet
- Hungary (MTVA) – Bela Bartok Male Choir
- Wales (S4C) – TBD
The Choirs competing in the contest will perform once for up to 6 minutes. The performance can include one or several works, of any genre, and “should in part reflect national or regional character in some way”. A jury will be made up of prominent international musicians who will decide the winner of the contest.