Slavko Kalezic has revealed more details about his song and staging for this year’s Eurovision Song Contest in Kyiv, Ukraine.
Last weekend in an interview with Eurovoix at the London Eurovision Party, Slavko Kalezic had revealed more information about his song “Space”. The Montenegrin entrant for this year’s Eurovision Song Contest, Slavko Kalezic, told Eurovoix:
“The first version was in the Montenegrin language, but I wanted to sing in English because I want to spread my art to the whole world. When we made this English version, I told them I wanted lyrics that would be symbolic, and shows love, positivity and optimism”
Later on in the interview, Slavko revealed that he will be bringing some elements of the music video onto the stage in Kyiv, such as his signature ponytail. Montenegro have been to many pre-party events so far, such as the London Eurovision Party and Israel Calling, and is planning on attending Eurovision In Concert in Amsterdam this weekend, as well as the Spanish Pre-Party in Madrid in a few weeks time.
Slavko Kalezic will represent Montenegro at this year’s Eurovision Song Contest in Kyiv in May, with his song “Space”. Thirty-one year old Kalezić was born in Podgorica, and rose to fame after appearing on the first season of X Factor Adria in 2013. He was mentored by former Eurovision entrant for Serbia and Serbia & Montenegro, Željko Joksimović. He released his debut album two years ago, and is also a talented actor. He studied Drama at the University of Montenegro, and is a member of the Montenegrin National Theatre.
Montenegro for the first time since 2009 held an open submissions process for the Eurovision Song Contest. Interested singers had until November 18 to submit their song to RTCG. Those submitting songs had to be citizens of Montenegro or have permanent residence in the country for at least two years.
Montenegro has internally selected both their singer and the song for the Eurovision Song Contest every year they have participated since 2009. For the past five years Montenegro has not hold an open submissions process, instead opting to internally select their singer for the contest behind closed doors.
Watch the interview in full here:
[tw-accordion-section title=”Montenegro in the Eurovision Song Contest”]
Montenegro debuted at the Eurovision Song Contest as an independent country in 2007, and participated until 2010 when they withdrew for financial reasons. They returned to the contest in 2012, and since then have always chosen their entry internally. Montenegro failed to qualify for the grand final until 2014, when Sergej Ćetković and his song “Moj svijet”. Their best result came a year later, when Knez performed “Adio” in Vienna. They have never reached the top 10, with Knez reaching 13th out of 27 countries. Their most recent entrant, Highway, reached 13th in their semi-final in 2016 with their song “The Real Thing”.