Press Enter / Return to begin your search.

Just under 500 votes separated first and second place in the final of the Malta Eurovision Song Contest 2017 last night.

The televoting results from the final of the Malta Eurovision Song Contest 2017 have been revealed, with just 452 votes separating first and second place. Going into the final last night Janice Mangion had been the favourite to win the contest, performing the first Maltese language song to be submitted in well over a decade. In the end though it was Claudia Faniello on her eleventh attempt who won this years contest.

[tw-accordion class=””]
[tw-accordion-section title=”Who is Claudia Faniello?”]
Claudia Faniello is 28 years old and was born in 1988. She will be representing Malta at the Eurovision Song Contest 2017 after trying to represent Malta at the contest a total of eleven times. He first attempt was in 2006 with the song “High Alert”, with her previous best result coming in 2012 with “Pure” when she finished 2nd. Claudia is the sister of the two times Eurovision participant Fabrizio Faniello.

The top three and their voting results were as follows:

  1. Claudia Faniello – Breathlessly – 4,996 votes
  2. Janice Mangion – Kewkba – 4,544 votes
  3. Kevin Borg – Follow – 2,502

Last nights winner was selected by 100% televote. This was the first time that Malta has held a selection process decided by the public. In previous years the Maltese public have only had a 20% say in the result, with the remaining 80% decided by Maltese and international jurors.

Source: TVM

[tw-accordion class=””]
[tw-accordion-section title=”Malta in the Eurovision Song Contest”]
Malta debuted in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1971 and was represented by Joe Grech and the song “Marija I-Maltija”, the song finished last. Malta competed again in 1972 and 1975 but withdrew until their return in 1991. During the 1990s Malta only once finished outside of the top.10 and in 1998 they came within just 7 points of victory. It was Chiara who brought the country their 3rd place finish in 1998, that went on to finish 2nd at the 2005 contest in Kyiv. The only other artist to finish 2nd for Malta is Ira Losco, she was 12 points away from victory.

1 thought on “Malta: 452 Votes Separated Claudia Faniello & Janice Mangion”

  1. Now I get it. Just because there was only televoting doesn’t mean that the presenters announced the viewing public’s results. At first I was curious about how multiple calls would be charged due to invalid voting. But when the final points were revealed, I was also curious about the BIGGEST gap – Janice Mangion’s “Kewkba” and Kevin Borg’s “Follow” – with the difference being 2,042 points.

Leave a Comment