Oleksandr Kharebin of NTU has reiterated that Ukraine will host next years Eurovision Song Contest despite false reporting in the Ukrainian press.
Following an interview with TSN yesterday, Oleksandr Kharebin who is the Acting Director General at NTU has reiterated that Ukraine will be hosting next years contest. Mr Kharebin has been vocal in his annoyance at TSN for misreporting what was stated in an hour-long interview with the broadcaster, which was televised last night.
The report which Eurovoix.com had covered before the broadcast stated that there was a risk that Eurovision would be taken away from Ukraine. However Mr Kharebin has stated in an interview today with Ukrainian public radio that significant progress has been made regarding the organisation of next years contest, moving away from a red card by the EBU to a green/yellow card. On December 8 NTU will be presenting their plans for next years contest to the EBU.
Following yesterdays interview Mr Kharebin took to Facebook to clarify what was said during the interview:
- Mr Kharebin did not state that Ukraine was at risk of losing the contest
- A decision on the contest being taken away from Ukraine will not be made on December 8, on this date NTU will be presenting their plans to the European Broadcasting Union in Geneva.
- The contest will not be costing 1.2 billion UAH, the maximum budget allocated by the Government and Kyiv is 650 million UAH.
- There was no mention of the transparency with which the tender process was being carried out for ticketing provider, the branding, stage design etc
- The reasons for the delays are not as bad as being made out in the press, red tape is the main reason for the delays.
A total of 43 countries are to compete in the Eurovision Song Contest 2017 in Kyiv, Ukraine. Returning to the Eurovision stage are Portugal and Romania who both took a year out from the contest. Bosnia & Herzegovina has however withdrawn from the contest due to financial difficulties at the national broadcaster, BHRT. The 62nd edition of the Eurovision Song Contest is being held on the following dates:
- Semi Final 1 – 9 May
- Semi Final 2 – 11 May
- Final – 13 May