LTV the Latvian national broadcaster has made a call for songs for their Eurovision 2017 selection process Supernova.
Applications are being accepted by the Latvian broadcaster from performers and songwriters from August 17 to the 28th of October. Applications are then reviewed from October 28 to November 10, after which live auditions will be held on November 15 and 22. The participants will then be decided by December 12, however their names will not be revealed until the introductory shows in 2017.
The schedule and format for the shows is as follows:
- 22 January – Introductory show for the first heat
- 29 January – Introductory show for the second heat
- 5 February – First heat will be held with between 8 and 10 songs competing for four places in the semi final. Two songs selected by televote, two by the jury.
- 12 February – Second heat will be held with between 8 and 10 songs competing for four places in the semi final. Two songs selected by televote, two by the jury.
- 19 February – Semi final will be held to select four songs to go through to the final.
- 26 February – Final will decide who will represent Latvia at the Eurovision Song Contest 2017, the winner is decided by 100% televote.
Supernova has been used since 2015 to select the Latvian entrant for the Eurovision Song Contest. The format has seen the country qualify for the final two years in a row, a huge turn in fortunes for the country who had previously failed to qualify for the final every year since 2008.