Press Enter / Return to begin your search.

JESC’13: Minimum Number Of Nations Not Met Again

Will The Contest Go Ahead?
Will The Contest Go Ahead?

Friday night was the end date for when countries could apply to take part in Junior Eurovision 2013, however for the second year running the minimum number of competing countries failed to reach the 12 required for the contest to take part.

The only nations that have confirmed their participation are:

  • Albania
  • Armenia
  • Belarus
  • Georgia
  • Netherlands
  • Russia
  • Sweden
  • Ukraine (Host nation)

The EBU will now be holding one on one talks with a number of EBU member broadcasters who have taken part in the contest before to try to reach the minimum number.

Countries that have withdrawn or said they are not interested in this years contest are:

  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Latvia
  • Portugal

Countries that took part last year that have so far not made a decision are:

  • Azerbaijan
  • Israel
  • Moldova

Also the Chairman of the Junior Eurovision Steering Group, Steve De Cornick – De Boeck is stepping down from his post in September. He said the decision was his own due to Belgiums withdrawal from the contest. He told escbelgium.com that:

I don’t think that JESC is dead. It is increasingly evolving into an Eastern and Central European Song Contest, but there is a lot of interest in the festival there. I think it will survive

However according to esckaz.com the Ukrainian national selection for this years contest failed to reach 0.1% of market share in the TV market.

It remains to be seen whether or not this years contest will take place if no other participating countries can be found.

Leave a Comment