The final Eurovision selection of the season took place tonight as Axel Hirsoux was selected to represent Belgium at Eurovision 2014. His song is called “Mother” and will be flying the Belgian flag in Copenhagen.
6 artists took part in tonight’s show, they were:
- Eva Jacobs – Nothing is impossible
- Udo – Hero (in Flanders fields)
- Yass – Need you tonight
- SIL – What’s the time in Tokyo?
- Axel Hirsoux – Mother
- Bandits – One
An international jury then voted on the songs, the jury was made up of Azerbaijan, Denmark, Ireland, Macedonia, The Netherlands, Spain and Belarus. They voted in the following way:
- Eva Jacobs – Nothing is impossible – 52 points
- Udo – Hero (in Flanders fields) – 22 points
- Yass – Need you tonight – 58 points
- SIL – What’s the time in Tokyo? – 32 points
- Axel Hirsoux – Mother – 74 points
- Bandits – One – 42 points
The domestic jury that did not have a say in the results unanimously agreed that Axel should represent Belgium in Copenhagen. In the end the public then had 280 points to allocate to the acts. Ruslana in the interval before her performance made a public plea to ask for action to help Ukraine, she went on to perform with the Ukrainian flag in her hand.
Here are the full results:
- Eva Jacobs – Nothing is impossible – 89 points – 3rd
- Udo – Hero (in Flanders fields) – 32 points – 6th
- Yass – Need you tonight – 77 points – 4th
- SIL – What’s the time in Tokyo? – 38 points – 5th
- Axel Hirsoux – Mother – 234 points – 1st
- Bandits – One – 90 points – 2nd
Axel also becomes the first Walloon born Belgian to win a Flemish produced Eurovision selection.
Here is the winning song: